Thursday, July 29, 2010

Journal Jar

Here's a fun "gift" I made up for my daughter called a Strawberry Shortcake Journal Jar!
Right now it has 50 prompts in it --- we'll refill it when we run out.  Here's a view that shows you the lid and the little strawberries on it (cut from the same ribbon that's wrapped around it).
Of course what good is a journal jar without a journal????  Here's an altered (15 cent) notebook to match...
 (After I took the above pictures - my daughter decided she'd like her prompts printed on pattern paper -- so I ended up with 91 prompts - printed on pattern paper and curled around a pencil for added interest!)

I made my journal prompts in such a way that I can participate with her.....figured it would be more fun to do it together.  So.....here's my journal
I found these three Victorian calendars at a thrift store (for a few cents) a while back -- the images work beautifully for altered notebooks!
BTW- My friend is the one who showed me how to alter those notebooks.  You take the wire coil out --- cover the existing cover with your choice of paper/embellishments -- turn it over so you can see the existing hole-- use them as a guide to punch through your new cover --- put the wire coil back through and wa-la!

Here are the supplies I used on the journal jar and S.S. journal
  • Image from here
  • Circle/Scallop/Blossom II nestabilities
  • Wide strawberry - fabric ribbon
  • Pink Ric Rak
  • Red stitched ribbon
  • Red/Pink/White Cardstock
  • Alphabet stamps (K & Company)
  • Floral Borders (Autumn Leaves - Stampology)
Here are some links to help you get started in making your own journal prompts
  1. Child's Journal Jar (this site has printable journal prompts --- If you don't have DSL it's a bit time consuming though)
  2.  Can Teach Journal Prompts
  3. Journal Writing Ideas from Teachers.Net
I plan to make some more journal jars -- for adults so I'll include a few journal prompt links on an adult level
  1. Recipe for My Life's History
  2. All About Me Journal Prompts
  3. Family History Prompts 

    2 comments:

    Virgo5 said...

    This is such a great idea! Thank you so much for all the links.

    Christa said...

    Thanks for the link to the child's journal jar prompts! I never thought to use these in homeschooling. I think my son would really go for these! :) (BTW - I adore those Victorian calendars!!)