Thursday, March 3, 2011

Scrunchy Flower Tutorial

Today I'm going to show you how I make these glimmer misted scrunchy flowers.  You don't have to make them glimmer misted --- just skip the first step if you want to use regular cardstock/DP.
1. Glimmer mist a piece of white paper with desired color and heat set (dry) with embossing gun (or in my case a Milwaukee heat gun from Goodwill for something like $2 - told you I'm cheap! Before that I used the gas flame on my oven to emboss!)
2. Using the Blossom Dies cut out 3 big blossoms (from cardstock) and 3 small blossoms (from dictionary page) I cut the small ones out before misting them with pearl white glimmer mist and heat setting.
[You could also use flower punches in the desire size -- doesn't have to be nestabilities.]
3. Wet with water and scrunch up
4. Unfold and "pinch" in the middle to form a crinkly top -- heat set again (till mostly dry)
5. Poke a hole through centers with a paper piercer
 6. Using a brad, assemble flower
7. Cover the brad with a button, pearl, or something else of your choice (using a glue gun)
8. Attach to your card or project
Supplies used:
  • Free Vintage Image from Magic Moonlight
  • Martha Stewart Corner punch
    • made the brown and cream border with this as well as the photo corners
  • Vintage Lace
  • String of pearls
  • Studio G alphabet stamp set
    • to spell out "friend" on the bottom
  • Homemade purple glimmer mist
This post linked to:
Whipperberry Friday Flair 
Humble Homemaking - Weekend Review 
 Crafty Friday at Inspire and Unscripted 
Made With Love Monday 
Handmade Tuesday 
Take A Look Tuesday

      9 comments:

      Sandy Ang said...

      Such lovely vintage cards ! And thanks for sharing the scrunchy flower tutorial. Can never have too many flower making techniques in the bag.

      Helen said...

      Beautiful flower and love the button!

      Meg Luby said...

      very lovely. thanks for sharing!
      -meg
      @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/

      Lisa said...

      You are so cool when it comes to crafts. I'm all thumbs but you make it look so easy.

      Maria said...

      Yay, you're my first party friend. Thank you for linking your beautiful project! I love it! The tutorial is fantastic. . .thank you for sharing it. . .it looks very vintage. . .:)

      Maria

      Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

      This project is so cool! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'd love to see pics if you ever make any beaded flowers for your cards! :)

      Art Chick said...

      I'm always looking for new ways to make flowers. Thanks for this super tutorial! Love it.

      Melony Bradley said...

      Great tutorial- I love this method of making flowers and just HAVE to try it!

      Little Birdie Blessings said...

      Great tutorial. Please tell me that your $2.00 heat gun is not the kind that is designed to peel paint. I guess at least since you've stopped using your gas stove to emboss that should make me feel better.

      I'm going to try this, but I can't seem to get my paper flowers to look good. Will let you know how it goes.

      ~ Abby