Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Paris Bathroom - Lamp Makeover

I'm back home again --- from our little week-end away ---- we had a GREAT time, and it went by all too quickly!  Rest assured you'll be seeing some new stuff (in the near future) that I "learned" at the Allentown Rubber Stamp and Art Festival  - but for now I'll finish sharing my bathroom makeover....starting with this little black lamp that I got at a thrift store for something like $2 or $3 dollars.
  At first I thought I might repaint it a different color, but then I decided to leave it black and go with an altered shade.  I couldn't find a lampshade (in the right size) that attached at the top like this one is supposed to, so I removed that part of the lamp and bought a plain white shade (for less than $3) that attaches to the light bulb.
Since I bought a 1/2 yard of black and white fabric for my memory board and only used 1/2 of it, I had enough left to cover my lampshade with.  
My shade isn't round like in the first tutorial  so I used newspaper to make a pattern for my cover (like suggested in this tutorial).
I then attached my material with masking tape before using Fabric Glue to glue it in place.
I glued the edges by sliding the bottle tip under it just a bit and squeezing the glue out. 
I then added some thin black ribbon along the top and bottom.
This wasn't my favorite project to work on --- kind of tried my patience a bit, but it was worth it in the end to achieve the look I was wanting!
Bathroom Makeover Posts:
Post #1
Post #2 
Post #3
Post #4
Post #5
Post #6
This post linked to:
Penny Pinching Party
Whatever You Want Wednesday

9 comments:

Naturally Carol said...

You've chosen a great piece of fabric for your lamp. The black bits really echo the shape and weight of the black base. A good job.

Christa said...

Wow, is that ever gorgeous!! I love the fabric, and it works perfectly on that lampshade. Great job! (And I can't wait to see what you learned at the convention.)

Bernie said...

How unique. I love it. I'm afraid to tackle anything that might try my patience. I'm afraid I will have a ton of unfinished projects.

Alexis said...

I love that fabric! I have a similar one in purple. Great job with the lamp!

Heirlooms For You said...

It might have been challenging but it sure is mighty pretty! Thank you for stopping by and your kind words. Please feel free to tell your friends. Keep checking back as I have a Pay it Forward project that I am going to be sharing soon. Carol

Heather said...

This is great! I have a BUNCH of lamps...that I wanted to paint..and do new shades for from yardsales...lol..and just sitting in the basement...waiting for me. Thanks for the link...maybe I will actually get one done! hugs! Love how this turned out! Fab!

Lamp Tramp said...

Just gorgeous. You did an amazing job on this lamp, the shade is to die for. You've inspired me to redo some of my lamp shades!

Shanda said...

Great job. I've been wanting to restore an old lamp of mine and you gave some great ideas, especially with the thin black ribbon. Exactly what I needed

Winnie said...

I just noticed this older post on your blog. I have to tell you, I love your decor, and all the decorations you made. I am doing my stamp room in pink, white and black with a Paris theme. I adored it there when I vistied and so we are puttng all my french stuff in one spot (hubby kept telling me I had a lot of towers everywhere..) I want to cover the lampshade now that I saw this! I just have a plain beige one now. I will share pics when I am done. I am half way now... Thanks for the idea!